What Is Mental Wellness?
As defined by the World Health Organization, also known as W.H.O, mental wellness is defined by them as “a state of well-being in which the individual realizes his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to his or her community.”
We will be looking into mental health wellness- tips to maintain balanced mental wellness because it is a very important area in which can assist in development and growth of a person. As it affects how we think, feel, and act, I believe that these are a part of a persons’ foundation of character and maturity. So I will be discussing the importance of mental health wellness and how we can use different tips on maintaining your balance!
As a woman who has had times of deep struggle to keep a good mental health, I have composed ten tips that have helped me keep a positive attitude that I will love to share!
Why Is Mental Health Important?
Mental health includes our psychological, emotional, and social well-being, that can affect how we feel, think, and even act! It can also help in determining how we relate to others, handle stress, and our decision-making. It is an important factor in every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through even your adulthood!
Factors that can contribute to mental health problems:
*Biological factors, such as brain chemistry
*Life experiences, such as trauma and/or abuse
*Family history of mental health problems
Early Warning Signs
Are you or someone you know living with mental health problems? If you are experiencing one or more of the feelings or behaviors, this can be an early warning sign.
Warning factors include:
*Eating or sleeping too much or too little
*Pulling away from people or not into usual activities
*Having low to no energy
*Feeling numb or that nothing matters
*Feeling unexpected aches and pains
*Feeling of hopeless or helpless
*Smoking, drinking, or using drugs more than usual
*Yelling and/or fighting with family and friends
*Feeling confused, on edge, angry, forgetful, upset, worried, or scared
*Thinking of harming yourself or others
*Hearing voices or believing things that are not true
*Severe mood swings that causes problems in relationships
*Having thoughts and memories you can not get out of your head
*Having the inability to perform your daily tasks like caring care of your kids or getting to school or work
Maintaining a positive mental health can be a challenge, but the more you practice the tips I will be sharing with you, the easier it will become part of your daily routine!
Positive mental health allows people to:
*Realizing your full potential
*Cope with stresses in your life
*Make meaningful contributions to your communities
10 Tips To Maintaining Great Mental Wellness
1. Get Your SLEEP ON – As important as we KNOW sleep is, most of us still struggle with fitting a 7 to 8 hour sleep slot into your routine. The key word is to TRY. When you are sleeping, your body helps the regulation of chemicals in the brain. These chemicals are so important, as they manage our moods and emotions. So remember guys, if you do not get enough sleep, it can lead to feelings of depression or anxiety.
2. Eating Well – Not only is eating well good for the body; certain mineral deficiencies, like iron and vitamin B12 deficiencies can cause us to have a low mood. Try to eat a balanced diet and see how much better you can feel!
3. Soak In The Sun – A great source of vitamin D is sunlight because of its important role it plays in our bodies! Vitamin D helps our bodies release chemicals that improve our moods, like serotonin and endorphins. So enjoy the outside world and soak up the sunlight for 30 minutes to 2 hours. Remember to always make sure you keep your eyes and skin protected!
4. Avoid Drugs, Alcohol, and smoking – Aside from the obvious reasons shown on the television and such, drinking and smoking can cause some feelings of withdrawal symptoms, with can impact your mental health. Even something as a few drinks the last before can lead to feeling depressed or anxious the next day, making it harder to concentrate. Prolong and excessive drinking can leave you with a Thiamine deficiency, which is important to our brain function and having a deficiency can lead to severe memory problems, motor (coordination) problems, confusion and eye problems. Smoking shows the withdrawal symptoms of being irritable and being anxious. More severe effects of drugs include paranoia and having delusions. There are also information that suggests that drugs use can be related to developing mental disorders like schizophrenia.
5. Excerise and Activity – Being essential in maintaining good mental health, excerise and activity is shown to not only give you a sense of achievement, it also boosts the chemicals in your brain to help you be in a good mood. Exercising helps eliminate or decrease the feeling of anxiety, stress the ‘down’ or low feeling, and/or the feeling of being tired or lazy.
There is no need to overdo it either; a short walk or gentle activity just might do the trick!
6. Manage Your Stress – Stress is unavoidable but learning your triggers and having a great coping routine is key to maintaining good mental health. Try to find your way by breaking down your worries, write them down and resolve them one by one. If you want more ways to manage stress, visit my article on Stress Out- What is Stress and How do we manage it.
7. Enjoying You – Making time to do things with yourself seems to be the go to advice for all self-love topics, because enjoying your own company and learning more about you can lead to such peace it is an amazing feeling. Setting time for yourself can stop you from being unhappy and irritable.
8. Do Things For Other People – Helping others is not only for their benefits but also for your own! Helping others can elevate your self-esteem and leave you feeling great about your place in the world, which is very important to your mental heath.
So be neighborly or volunteer!
9. Be Sociable And Connect With Others – Talk to people and make the effort to maintain good relationships. Friends are important not only to your self – esteem, but also to providing support when you are not feel all that great. So pick your friends carefully because it is just as easy to trust the wrong friend, which can cause even more damage.
10. Know When To Ask For Help – There is NO shame in needing support when you are feeling down and stressed. It is really important to recognize when you are in that negative mind frame. You can speak to your family and friends and if you feel like none of these tips are not working or you feel or see yourself sinking down the rabbit hole make an appointment and speak to your Doctor.
Many people around us suffer from one thing or another but I feel if we can just come together, know how to recognize, use the tips given to us FOR us and/or seek professional help; these things tend to become better maintained and less destructive in our lives. So I believe some empathy and awareness cmes a long way.
To give, one must have. So take care of your mental health , so that we can give a helping hand to another.
** Please leave a comment! I will love to read your comments, questions, and experiences. Leave a comment if you have experienced this behavior, have an opinion, or have any recommendations for another topic! I can not wait to read them!”**
Much LOVE and Keep Being AMAZING!